Leisure Program Specialist/ Travel Assistant -Senior Center
- Type:Part Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$17.00 to $21.00 per hour
- Posted Date:05/22/2017
City of Cupertino Employment Opportunity
Leisure Program Specialist / Travel Assistant - Senior Center
Part-Time Temporary, Non-Benefited. Work hours not to exceed 995 hours per fiscal year.
POSITION: Senior Center Leisure Program Specialist/ Travel Assistant)
Part-time temporary, non-benefited position, maximum 995 hours per fiscal year)
HOURS PER WEEK: 20 (approximate)
SALARY RANGE: $17.00 to $21.00 per hour
FINAL FILING DATE: Open until filled
Under general supervision, the Leisure Program Specialist assists the Travel Coordinator in planning the travel program for Seniors, leading Seniors on day trips, and performing related work as required. The position emphasizes customer service, problem-solving, and a strong sense of teamwork. This is a non-benefited, part-time position limited to no more than 995 hours per fiscal year.
The Leisure Program Specialist is assigned to the Cupertino Senior center and represents the City before the general public. Examples of duties include:
- Escorting day trips and overnight tours
- Researches different travel and tour itineraries
- Coordinates with bus companies, wholesale tour operators, museums, restaurants, music and theater companies, travel companies, agents, and destination specialists to book trips
- Prepares promotional travel program material
- Markets travel program
- Contacts travel participants as needed
- Performs other duties as required
REQUIRED SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE, AND ABILITIES
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent customer service techniques
- Principles of good customer service
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with travel participants, co-workers, and the public
- Work independently, often with limited supervision or direction
- Adhere to the safety procedures, practices, and policies of the City
- Meet time deadlines
On a continuous basis: stand, sit, bend, squat, climb, kneel, twist and reach, and lift and carry weight of 25 pounds or less while coordinating and/or supervising recreation activities.
Any combination equivalent to completion of the twelfth grade and experience in the special programs to which assigned. One year of related experience working with large groups is desirable.
Must have a valid California Driver’s License and knowledge of safety precautions. Must have a valid First Aid and CPR certificate or the ability to obtain within 90 days of employment.
HOW TO APPLY: Applicants must complete an official City of Cupertino application and supplemental questionnaire and return it to Human Resources or apply online via www.calopps.org
All hard copy applications must be typewritten or handwritten in black ink. Hard copy applications may be picked up at the following offices:
Cupertino Senior Center, 21251 Stevens Creek Blvd, Cupertino, CA 95014
Human Resources, Cupertino City Hall, 10300 Torre Avenue, Cupertino, CA 95014
This position will remain open until filled.
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Applicants will be screened by a review of their written application, supplemental application, and oral interview. The most qualified applicants will be invited to an oral interview. Successful applicants will need to show proof of their current TB test, valid CPR and First Aid certification, and complete a pre-employment fingerprinted criminal history records check. Successful applicants may also need to provide a DMV printout of their driver record prior to their Human Resources appointment.
The City of Cupertino is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religion, color, sex (including gender and pregnancy), sexual orientation (including heterosexuality, homosexuality, and bisexuality), national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, uniformed service member status, marital status, pregnancy, age, medical condition, genetic characteristics, and physical or mental disability. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Cupertino Human Resources upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request. An Equal Opportunity Employer.
A completed supplemental application must be submitted along with a completed City of Cupertino Employment Application to be considered for the Leisure Program Specialist position.
Please provide a response to each question. Please limit your response to 3 pages total.
1. Please describe your experience with planning group travel.
2. Provide an example of your experience in leading a group.
3. Please describe the most innovative idea you have implemented, and how you implemented and marketed it.