Distinguished & Emerging Artist Awards
The Fine Arts Commission’s purpose is to foster and encourage artists while preserving and advancing the arts for the benefit of the citizens of Cupertino. Each year the Commission presents an award to one or more deserving artists in recognition of local talent.
The Emerging Artist Award, for those between the ages of 19 and 30, was established to encourage and recognize younger artists with artistic promise. The Distinguished Artist Award is for those 31 or older, whose body of work displays merit and excellence. There is a cash prize of $500 for each award.
Recipients of the cash awards must comply with the following:
- Be willing to work with the Fine Arts Commission to promote the arts in the community through participation in one or more events designed for that purpose.
- Acknowledge the support of the City of Cupertino on any printed advertising, programs or brochures.
- Send any pre-event notices, announcements, or media coverage to the Fine Arts Commission c/o the City of Cupertino, Department of Community Development.
- Submit a written evaluation, to be provided at the conclusion of the project, exhibit or event, or within six months from the date of the award, whichever comes first. The evaluation should include a description of the artist’s activities and goals, target audience, and any feedback received. Also rate the success of the event(s), and list any adaptations or improvements that could be made in the future.
Criteria for award:
- Artists must live in Cupertino, practice their art in the city, or attend an educational institution or school within the Cupertino school district.
- Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 15, 2016
To submit an application, please email the following documents to email@example.com . If your documents are too large to email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request a link to upload your materials. Complete applications will include:
1. Typed Application Form (download fillable PDF here, no handwritten forms accepted)
2. Artist’s personal statement that addresses artistic promise, goals, or accomplishments
3. Two letters of endorsement and/or support, which includes relationship to artist
4. Digital portfolio of up to 10 pieces that best represent your body of work
5. Resume and exhibition record (if any)
Questions? Please email email@example.com
Past Distinguished Artist Award Winners
Past Emerging Artist Award Winners