COVID-19 Information:


Learn more about COVID-19, City services, and the Shelter-in-Place Order.  



Commercial/Mixed-Use/Industrial Development

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option


For any development or construction, the first step is to determine the zoning district for your property 

Your zoning district and the corresponding Zoning Ordinance in the Cupertino Municipal Code determines what can be built on your property and which uses are allowed on your property. Zoning dictates how much development, including the number of residential units, is allowed, as well as the size of development, height, setbacks and other features.

Non-Residential Zoning District Types

  • General Commercial (CG) Zoning District 
    The General Commercial zoning ordinance regulates retailing and service establishments that offer goods and services to the general public and ancillary office uses. 
    General Commercial (CG) Zone Ordinance
  • Light Industrial (ML) Zoning District 
    The Light Industrial zoning ordinance regulates certain industrial uses which are incompatible with commercial and residential uses. 
    Light Industrial (ML) Zone Ordinance
  • Administrative and Professional Office (OA) Zoning District 
    The Professional Office (OA) zoning ordinance regulates development of office space together with necessary landscaping and off-street parking facilities. 
    Professional Office (OA) Zone Ordinance
  • Planned Development (P) Zoning District 
    The Planned Development (P) Zoning District allows flexibility to property owners and developers to propose any form of development from residential projects to commercial and office projects or mixed use projects. The ordinance lays out the approval process for development in this zoning district.
    Planned Development (P) Zone Ordinance

Planning Permit

Use the Planning Application Form to get development approval for your project.


Apply for a tree removal permit before you cut down any protected trees! It is costlier to apply for a permit retroactively.


Need a permanent or temporary sign for your business? Visit the Sign Information page for more details.

Special Events

Have a special event, such as a church festival or a summer bbq at your work place? A Special Events Permit from the City will ensure you don't run afoul of any requirements from the Building Department or the Fire Department. Please visit the Special Event Information page for details.

Wireless Communications Facilities

For development regulations and permitting requirements for cellular antennae and similar equipment, please visit the Wireless Communications Facilities page. 


For information about parking, click here.

Non-Residential Landscaping

In general, projects that involve the removal and replacement of any amount of landscaping in non-residential zones must comply with the requirements of the City's Landscape Ordinance. Please visit the Non-residential Landscaping page for details.


Fences in non-residential areas are regulated by Chapter 19.48 of the Cupertino Municipal Code. Fences in non-residential and mixed use zones require design review prior to installation.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer