The purpose of the Fine Arts Commission is to foster and encourage artistic expression and achievement in the fields of visual, verbal and performing arts while preserving and advancing the arts for the benefit of the citizens of Cupertino. Each year the Commission presents awards to deserving artists in recognition of local talent in these fields.
The Emerging Artist Award was established to encourage and recognize demonstrations of artistic promise. This award recognizes younger artists as well as those rediscovering their love of artistic expression later in life. Judging criteria will include evidence of imagination and individuality as well as effective use of media and tools to create a work of personal expression.
The Distinguished Artist Award recognizes established artists having a substantial body of work that display merit and excellence, as well as a history of contributions to their artistic field and the community. Prior winners of the Distinguished Artist Award have taught art classes, participated in shows or performances, and won awards for their work.
There is a cash award of $1000 for the Distinguished Artist platinum winner (1st place) and cash award of $750 for the Emerging Artist platinum winner (1st place).
Know someone who you think could win this award? Send them this flyer and invite them to apply.
How to apply
- Who may apply. Artists must live or work in Cupertino or attend high school, college and/or art school physically located within Cupertino.
- Deadline. Applications must be received by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, July 12, 2019
- Complete application requirements. Email the following documents to email@example.com .
1. Typed application: download fillable PDF here, no handwritten forms please
2. Artist’s personal statement that addresses artistic promise, goals, or accomplishments
3. One letter of endorsement and/or support, which includes relationship to artist
4. Digital portfolio, saved as PDF, JPG, PNG or TIFF file, of up to 10 pieces that best represent your body of work. If your documents are too large to email, please send your materials via Dropbox, Google docs or similar format.
5. Resume and exhibition record (if any)
- Winners who receive cash awards must:
- Be willing to work with the Fine Arts Commission to promote the arts in the community through participation in one or more events designed for that purpose.
- Acknowledge the recognition of the City of Cupertino on any printed advertising, programs or brochures they produce related to the award.
Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org