Location: 21267 Stevens Creek Boulevard
Applicant: Mark Tersini (KT Urban)
The 8.1-acre project site is the existing Oaks Shopping Center on Stevens Creek Boulevard. The project site is currently developed with five buildings totaling approximately 71,250 square feet. The proposed project would demolish the existing buildings and construct 242 residential units and 20,000 square feet of commercial space. The project would consist of 18 buildings: three rowhouse, 13 townhouse, and two mixed-use residential buildings that would include 39 Below Market Rate senior housing. The project would include 37,601 square feet of common open space and 2,400 square feet of common retail outdoor space.
The project is further requesting the following waivers as part of their Density Bonus application (Project Plans are linked at the bottom of the page):
- Height waivers for Building 1 (residential/commercial) and Building 2 (senior housing) from 45 ft. height limit to allow heights currently illustrated on Sheets G204 and A211 thru A217 (Building 1 would be 70’ 0” to the eave line, 79’ 6” to the roof ridge, and 91’ 9” to the top of the non-occupied tower. Building 2 would be 55’ to the eave line, 64’ 6” to the roof ridge, and 73’ 9” to the top of the non-occupied tower.)
- Slope setback waivers for Building 1 (residential/commercial) and Building 2 (senior housing) from 1:1 to slope setback currently illustrated on Sheet G204.(Building 1 would have a slope line of 1:2.08. Building 2 would have a slope line of 1:1.47.)
- Waiver to CMC requirement that the affordable units be dispersed throughout the project (Section 19.56.050.G.1) to allow that all affordable units be located within the senior housing building (Building 2).
Below are links to the full project descriptions, as well as the waiver justification letters, as applied by the developer:
A City-wide postcard was sent to at the end of March to notify the public of the tentatively scheduled public hearings concerning the Westport Development.
Environmental Review Committee - Tentatively scheduled for April 16, 2020.
Planning Commission - Tentatively scheduled for May 12, 2020.
City Council - Tentatively scheduled for June 2, 2020.
DRAFT EIR & NOTICE OF AVAILABILITY
Please click on the link below for the Notice of Availability.
The 45-day public review period for the Draft EIR will start on Wednesday, November 6, 2019 and end on Friday, December 20, 2019. The Draft EIR is available for review below and at the Community Development Department counter.
Appendices referenced in the DEIR:
A public meeting to receive comments on the adequacy of the Draft EIR is tentatively scheduled on Wednesday, December 11, 2019 at 6:30 p.m.. at the Senior Center Reception Hall, 21251 Stevens Creek Blvd. A separate notice will be issued for this meeting.
Comments on the Draft EIR are due no later than the close of the 45-day review period at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, December 20, 2019. Please send your written comments to Gian Martire, City of Cupertino, at the address shown above or email to GianM@cupertino.org with “Westport Mixed-Use Project EIR” as the subject. Public agencies providing comments are asked to include a contact person for the agency.
EIR PUBLIC SCOPING MEETING, NOTICE OF PREPARATION(NOP), & INITIAL STUDY
Notice is hereby given that the City of Cupertino (City) will be the Lead Agency and will prepare a project-level EIR for the Westport Mixed-Use Project (proposed project) pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) (Public Resources Code sections 21000 et seq.) and the CEQA Guidelines (Title 14, section 15000 et seq. of the California Code of Regulations). This Notice of Preparation (NOP) has been prepared in compliance with CEQA Guidelines section 15082. The purpose of this NOP is to solicit comments from public agencies and the public on the scope and content of the EIR for the project.
An EIR Scoping Meeting will be held on Thursday, July 18, 2019 from 6:45 to 8:45 p.m. at the Cupertino Community Hall, 10350 Torre Avenue, Cupertino.
Below are studies referenced in the Initial Study:
The Westport Cupertino development is a redevelopment proposal for the existing 71,254 square foot Oaks Shopping Center, located on an approximately 8 acre site. The proposed project is described as follows:
- Development Permit (DP-2018-05) application and environmental analysis (EA-2018-04) to allow the construction of a mixed-use development consisting of 242 housing units, 20,000 square feet of retail space, and ~35,000 square feet of common open space on an 8-acre parcel.
- Architectural and site approval (ASA-2018-05) to evaluate the redevelopment of the Oaks Shopping Center into a mixed use development. The proposed 242 units will include 39 Below Market Rate Senior Housing Units, 88 for sale row houses and town houses, and 115 condominiums. Two mixed-use buildings will include approximately 20,000 square feet of retail, both serviced by at grade and below grade parking.
- Tentative Map application (TM-2018-03) to approve a subdivision of the site.
- Tree removal permit (TR-2018-22) allow the removal and replacement of 74 protected development trees.
- Use Permit (U-2019-03) to allow the development of residential units on a mixed-use Housing Element site that proposes units above the estimates in the Housing Element.
- Heart of the City Exception (EXC-2019-03) to allow a development with less than 75% of the total building frontage along Stevens Creek Boulevard dedicated to the direct retailing of goods or services to the general public.