Safety is a top priority. With the ongoing uncertainty over COVID-19, City staff is making concentrated efforts toward following the guidelines released by the Santa Clara County Department of Health, but please note the fluidity of the situation may affect the status and timeline of the Summer Volunteer Program this summer. City staff will swiftly communicate with our participants and share new information that may modify the program, such as new interview dates or training dates. Be sure to accurately input yours and your students' contact information.
Our Junior Swim Instructor Program is a volunteer program designed to give teens the ability to work together with swim instructors during our summer programming. JSIs will participate in a week-long in-service training created with the intention of developing leadership skills and preparing for their volunteer assignments. During their assigned shifts, our JSIs will receive on-the-job training and will have the opportunity to refine their leadership and job skills. When volunteering, all of our JSIs are expected to behave in a professional manner, help teach kids to swim, and positively contribute to a safe swim lesson environment. JSIs may volunteer anywhere from 2-8 weeks, but we do require a minimum of 2 week session for our aquatic programs.
Parents, please note that this program strives to prepare participants for their first job and life in college. The more JSIs handle the responsibility of corresponding with recreation staff and treating the program like a first job, the better prepared they will be for post-high school life.
Additional highlights of the JSI program include:
- CPR/First-aid training
- Earning service hours
- Invaluable experiences and skills which will help with future employment
- Connection with the Cupertino community as official representatives
- Leadership skills learned:
- Customer service
- Safety protocols
- Public speaking
- Resume writing and interview prep
- Much more!
Applications are due by Wednesday, May 6th. You may find the application here.
2020 Program and Summer Details. Due to COVID-19, all dates are subject to change.
• In-service Training (mandatory): June 8th – June 12th
• Aquatic Program Dates: June 16th –August 7th
• JSIs may volunteer anywhere from 2-8 weeks
• $50 Resident/$60 Non-resident
Requirements & Expectations
Volunteers that are admitted to the program will be expected to meet the following requirements:
- Must be at least 14 years old by June 8, 2020 (first day of In-service training).
- Attending In-service week (June 8-12) is mandatory.
- Volunteer for a minimum of a 2 week session, in addition to in-service week.
- Must provide their own transportation to and from program sites.
- JSI Program Application. See link above.
- Signed Waivers and Liability Forms
- Supplemental Questions
- Program payment will be collected upon acceptance
Selection of Summer Volunteer Team:
Due to the increasing popularity and standards of the program, we will be using the answers of the supplemental questions to select our volunteer team. In addition, we may look at an applicant’s availability to determine acceptance into the program. Applicants, will be required to come to a brief interview process on May 10, 2020.
Once selected, JSIs will be sent acceptance emails with next steps on completing TB testing and fingerprinting. Program assignments will be received in mid to late May.
Information packets will be mailed home at the end of May with the daily in-service schedule and summer assignments.